The Wibbly-Wobbly Timey-Wimey Watchlist: “Ashes to Ashes” Series Finale


Right, so “Lost” is the big news of the viewing season among all my friends.  I know people who are about to gnaw their own arms off waiting to see if they’re all inside a video game or if they were Tyler Durden all along or something.  I really don’t know because I’ve been over here with the other half of the world trying to find out who DCI Gene Hunt is.

Ever since Sam Tyler got hit by a car and ended up in 1973 — and then after Alex Drake was shot and landed in 1981 — fans have been going spare trying to figure out if they are in fact mad, in a coma, or back in time.  And after five years of freaky test pattern girls and Bowie-clowns and seeing stars, we’ve been promised answers.  The “Life on Mars”/”Ashes to Ashes” double-play ends on Friday, and the speculations have been flying fast and furious all the way up to the end.  Writers Matthew Graham and Ashley Pharaoh have skirted around hints and spoilers more and more as we approach the finale, but fans are still jumping at shadows (and voices) trying to catch any little clue as to what the hell is going on.

Fans have been told not to worry, though … according to Graham, we’re not going to be left hanging:

I think you’ll get 95% of your answers […] and it should be enough to make you go, ‘I can now explain that world to someone who’s not seen it.’

Or, to put it nice and succinctly:

It will all make sense. We won’t be doing a Lost!

In a weird way, it’s actually a little refreshing to be left at least somewhat in suspense about a show’s ending, in an era when we have to avoid going online to keep clear of leaked spoilers.  And while everyone will be sad to see Philip Glenister leave the role of Gene Hunt behind, it will likely be worth it just to find out what this show’s deal is.

The final episode of “Ashes to Ashes” airs on BBC1 Friday at 9 PM.  Tune in to have 95% of your questions answered; hopefully the other 5% will be why Chris suddenly decided to get highlights.