Video of the day: Did someone really make a black version of Star Wars?

Normally, I don’t trust any news that I read on April 1, I sure as hell am not clicking any video links, and I know that several of you are the same.

However, I had to check this out:

The posting account was created yesterday, and the link to their website Lando is the Man goes to an empty WordPress blog featuring a very nipply woman in a tank top.

Allegedly, this is the first part in the “documentary” series; if any other parts get released, I will be highly impressed.

Posted on April 1, 2010 at 05:29 by Trisha Lynn · Permalink

1. Written by arkonbey
    on April 1, 2010 at 11:40

Well, it does make some interesting points at how white sci-fi was and still is a bit.

I wonder what the demographics are on sci-fi. Is there a race factor or does being a nerd transcend race.

2. Written by TrishaLynn77
    on April 1, 2010 at 11:53

“A bit”? I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized that even if there were black people on Serenity, there weren't any Asian characters at all in a universe where the backstory is that that the U.S. and China “merged.”

3. Written by arkonbey
    on April 1, 2010 at 14:43

I only put “a bit” lest people thought I was being too harsh and not knowing my movies enough.

In reality, can't think of a non-white in a straight lead of a sci-fi film except for SLJ in the Matrices and (maybe Richard Biggs on B-5 but, that was TV). That's just black, too. I'm wracking my brains to think of an asian, hispanic, etc. lead. Anyone?

4. Written by MO--
    on April 1, 2010 at 22:07

I so wanted to point to River, because I was sure Summer Glau had at least a little bit of an Asian heritage, but no, wikipedia says Irish and German. Go figure.
    So yeah, apparently, besides some Chinese cursing, there wasn't much to see of the merger. Although that might have changed if the series wouldn't have been cancelled so soon.

5. Written by BlueNight
    on April 3, 2010 at 13:37

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine featured Ben Sisko and his son Jake, who are black. Battlestar Galactica and Caprica feature Edward James Olmos and Esai Morales, both hispanic; their home colony is the cultural equivalent of Asian.

These are the only examples I can name. It helps that they're both awesome.

6. Written by Trisha Lynn
    on April 3, 2010 at 14:01

And they are indeed great examples. Also, there's always Trek, but I can't think of any recent examples for Asians.

7. Written by Trisha Lynn
    on May 17, 2010 at 01:58

Just realized, it was Lawrence Fishburne in the Matrix movies, not Samuel L. Jackson.