McKellen predicts July start date for The Hobbit

Gandalf seems to think that he’ll be returning to Middle Earth this year.

Over at Variety, Ian McKellen is quoted as saying that he believes the first of the two Hobbit films will begin shooting in July, though the films have not even gotten the green light from New Line. Peter Jackson is still working on the second script with writing partner and wife, Fran Walsh, and budget concerns and a start date will likely wait until that is finished.

McKellen went on to say that casting has started in New York, LA and London and that once started, filming would likely take over a year. Director Guillermo del Toro (Hellboy) has moved to Wellington, close to where the Jacksons themselves live.

McKellen isn’t the only one returning from Lord of the Rings as it appears that Andy Serkis is likely to reprise his role as Gollum.

Posted on March 18, 2010 at 12:19 by Lincoln Eddy · Permalink
In: Movies, News · Tagged with: , ,

1. Written by Douche
    on March 18, 2010 at 21:42

I think these movies should never see the light of day

on March 18, 2010 at 21:45

Congratulations.

3. Written by arkonbey
    on March 22, 2010 at 12:50

I love del Toro's work, but I really don't think he's the right man for this.

on March 22, 2010 at 14:26

Del Toro's filmography has more action and fantasy on it than Peter Jackson's did! I think he'll surprise you.

5. Written by staatz
    on March 22, 2010 at 17:15

I surprised so many people seem so down on del Toro, The Devil’s Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth were great and I thought his comic book movies were entertaining too. Is everyone just grumpy that Peter Jackson isn't directing? He did a good job but after the 5 endings of the last movie I'm ready for someone else to direct.

6. Written by arkonbey
    on March 23, 2010 at 18:46

I'm not doubting Del Toro's action/fantasy cred, I'm just concerned about his style. Del Toro can create darkness that is astounding in it's power, even on comic book films like the HellBoys.

The Hobbit, however, for all of its fighting and scary situations is neither a dark nor heavy story (none of the main characters die, after all). It's a relatively light, often humorous tale that would not be served well by weight and darkness.

on March 23, 2010 at 19:14

I've never thought Hellboy was really that dark, but yeah, I wouldn't like it if he made it too violent. At its heart, the Hobbit is a young adult adventure novel.

LOTR was the dark, heavy sequel to it.

on March 23, 2010 at 19:15

For what it's worth, I'm more interested in The Hobbit because of del Toro, not in spite of his involvement.

9. Written by urbane_turtle
    on March 26, 2010 at 15:22

Based entirely on the designs in Hellboy II and Pan's Labyrinth and how beautifully made those two films are, The Hobbit is in good hands and I can not wait to see it come out