Next up for Studio Ghibli: The Borrowers

Picture-2The 1997 live-action version of The Borrowers wasn’t terrible or anything, but it wasn’t all that hot, either — so, fans of Mary Norton’s 1952 children’s novel and its sequels might be excited to learn that Studio Ghibli (Spirited Away, Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea) has taken the reigns of a new, animated adaptation, to be directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi.

There’s already an official website, if you can read Japanese (which I can’t), although Variety notes that the literal Japanese title is “Arrietty Borrows Everything.”

The new film hits Japanese theaters in Summer 2010, and will likely find its way to American theaters sometime thereafter.

Posted on December 16, 2009 at 13:25 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

1. Written by Estereo_type
    on 2009-12-17 at 10:36

Not that it means a whole lot, but “Karigurashi no Arrietty” doesn't translate to Arrietty Borrows Everything. Its closer to “Arrietty of the Borrowers.”

on 2009-12-17 at 10:45

You know… I took two years of Japanese, so I should've known that — but nope, I just went with what Variety said. :1 Bad blogger. :(

3. Written by genevievelopez
    on 2009-12-17 at 15:05

…Holy crap, I loved that movie as a little kid. I think I still have the VHS in my house. I'll probably be able to enjoy it more without imagining the little one as Draco Malfoy, though.

4. Written by Estereo_type