Daybreakers producers get their hands on An American Werewolf

AmericanWerewolfLondonWhen they’re on a roll, the Furst brothers are really on a roll.

Not long after the producing duo of Sean Furst and Bryan Furst released the trailer to the upcoming Daybreakers (which stars Ethan Hawke and hopefully will forever destroy the notion that vampires sparkle), Variety reported that the two were set to produce the remake of the 1981 classic horror movie An American Werewolf in London through Dimension Films.

More important, however is Variety writer Dave McNary’s tip of the hat to the team at Bloody Disgusting.com for keeping on the story they teased out of original director John Landis during an interview at last year’s HorrorHound convention in Pittsburgh, PA.

No word yet on who’s writing or directing the remake, but judging by how damn awesome Daybreakers looks and feels, this is one remake I’m actually looking forward to seeing on the big screen.

Posted on July 1, 2009 at 05:22 by Trisha Lynn · Permalink

1. Written by arkonbey
    on 2009-07-01 at 11:56

This is a terrible idea! Say it with me: You don’t remake classics.

Anybody remember the Psycho remake? Wasn’t that fabulous?

I would like to see another werewolf movie, but let’s make an original one, please! Let’s not butcher a classic film whose effects and story have, remarkably, stood the test of time.

Thus ends the rant.

on 2009-07-01 at 13:24

I’m with arkonbey on this one.

Why not a NEW werewolf story? I mean, Daybreakers looks awesome mostly because of the originality of the premise. Give us something new, y’allz!

3. Written by Dr. Halpinstein
    on 2009-07-02 at 16:35

Is it explicitly a remake or just a similar concept?

4. Written by Dr. Halpinstein
    on 2009-07-02 at 21:52

And by that I mean is it a Friday the 13th remake or a Wicker Man remake?

on 2009-07-03 at 17:04

I guess we don’t know that yet, Dr. Halpinstein.

6. Written by Potninja
    on 2009-08-22 at 09:56

I think this movie has really great potential. From the look of Daybreakers, the effects won't be an issue (unlike the ever-so-disgraceful American Werewolf in Paris….. Ugh). The original story was already good, so if they stick to it they're pretty much covered there. And what's wrong with remaking a great classic? Even if they screw it up, it'll just make the original look better. I am really eager to see what these guys are capable of with a movie of that calibur.

7. Written by Potninja