Trailer Watch: The Invention of Lying

Ricky Gervais (The Office, Extras) finally hits the big screen properly with co-written and co-directed by Gervais The Invention of Lying. (Ghost Town doesn’t count, because it wasn’t particularly good, and because he didn’t write it.) Previously known as This Side of the Truth, Invention is set “in a world where no one has ever lied, until a writer seizes the opportunity for personal gain.”

The Invention of Lying was co-written and co-directed by Gervais and Matthew Robinson and co-stars Jennifer Garner, Jonah Hill, Rob Lowe, Tina Fey, Jason Bateman, Jeffrey Tambor, Christopher Guest, Martin Starr, Patrick Stewart, etc., etc., etc.

Related Post: Ricky Gervais speaks the Truth

Posted on June 26, 2009 at 18:19 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers

1. Written by Matt
    on 2009-06-26 at 19:44

Gervais can’t do much wrong when he actually writes something.

Hope it turns out good.

2. Written by Arkonbey
    on 2009-06-29 at 18:37

Gervais is fantastic, but I just can’t suspend my disbelief for this concept.

tens of thousands of years of sapient hominids and only NOW someone discovers lying? Does that mean that there is no fiction? Wow. Imagine the horror of a bookstore filled with nothing but cookbooks and memoirs. Of course, it would also mean no infomercials, no Ponzi schemes and no Iraq war.

Anyway, why does not being able to lie mean you have to tell the whole truth all of the time? without provocation? When asked how she was, she COULD have said “I’ve been better” and it would have been just as true as listing all of her woes.

on 2009-06-30 at 11:03

But why does a comedy have to be realistic?

4. Written by arkonbey
    on 2009-07-01 at 12:13

You’re right in principle. How realistic are ‘Some Like it Hot’ or ‘Stranger Than Fiction’, say?

I’m just saying that, for me, a concept of 500 centuries of human civilization with no liars is too much to bear. I don’t know why.

And I really like Ricky Gervais. So much that I didn’t hate Ghost Town.

on 2009-07-01 at 21:18

I guess (now that I think about it) I think of this as more of a surreal premise than “unrealistic.”

But whatever; I can swallow just about any premise, so long as they don’t start piling on a whole bunch of other equally (or more) unbelievable things on top of that as the movie progresses. THEN my patience starts to wear thin.

6. Written by Peama
    on 2009-07-23 at 02:07

Some are overthinking it. Also, I find it sad that some people cant imagine a world without lies. That said, I really look forward to this.

7. Written by Peama