Trailer Watch: Daybreakers

A trailer for the Ethan Hawke vampire actioner Daybreakers has hit the interwebz and it looks pretty cool. Writer-directors Peter and Michael Spierig’s debut (Hollywood debut?) feature takes an interesting premise to an otherwise extraordinarily tired genre (at least to me), telling the story of a world almost completely overrun by vampires:

Edward Dalton (Hawke) [is] a researcher in the year 2019, in which an unknown plague has transformed the world’s population into vampires. As the human population nears extinction, vampires must capture and farm every remaining human, or find a blood substitute before time runs out. However, a covert group of vampires makes a remarkable discovery, one which has the power to save the human race.

Checkitout:

“What’s to cure?” sold it for me. Sam Neill can be such a badass.

Daybreakers co-stars Willem Dafoe, Isabel Lucas, and Sam Neill and opens on January 8th, 2010.… Ordinarily January openings aren’t a very good sign, but the studio might think they have a Cloverfield-type of hit on their hands. Great cast (I’ve always liked Hawke), solid visuals… yeah, this could be fun.

UPDATE (6/27): As reader Tom pointed out below, Daybreakers is actually the Spierig Brothers second feature-length, after a low-budget — but award-winning — Aussie indie horror film called Undead from 2003.

Posted on June 26, 2009 at 17:56 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers

1. Written by Matt
    on 2009-06-26 at 19:16

Looks alright. Not impressed by the song at the end, but otherwise I could go for this movie.

2. Written by Mike Rouse-Deane
    on 2009-06-27 at 03:20

Wasn’t interested but the trailer sold it to me :)

3. Written by Tom
    on 2009-06-27 at 05:24

I take issue with you calling Daybreakers the Spierig Brothers Debut film. Debut american film maybe but not debut film. They did a really cheesey comedic zombie film called Undead on a really limited budget but still got some half decent computer and practical effects and predated Shaun of the Dead by a year.

It was not a perfect film but it did entertain me and a crowd of cheering film goers at the Melbourne International Film Festival and ever since I have tried to keep tabs on the brothers.

on 2009-06-27 at 08:44

Tom, I stand corrected.

5. Written by Code Red
    on 2009-06-28 at 00:07

Anyone know that song that was played at the end?

6. Written by jess
    on 2009-06-29 at 03:41

It’s Placebo covering Kate Bush’s Running Up That Hill.

7. Written by Arkonbey
    on 2009-06-29 at 18:29

rather original.

But wtf was up with the three random loud smashy clips at the end of the trailer? Kinda dumb.

8. Written by Tsiwt
    on 2009-06-29 at 23:32

Best trailer I’ve seen in a while … and the most original vampire concept I’ve seen in a LONG time in a market flooded with them.

9. Written by Lethal Interjection
    on 2009-06-30 at 07:33

I agree. I like the original vamp movie angle. And Willem Dafoe looks tolerable (I don’t know what it is about him, but he just takes me out of most movies).

10. Written by Dyvynarth
    on 2009-07-01 at 07:06

Definitely a must see for me. I randomly bought Undead a while back and loved it. Seeing these guys back in action with a new movie will rock! ;)

11. Written by Sunolet
    on 2009-07-03 at 08:50

i was very happy until i saw who was responsible for it i don’t care how many awards it won undead was stupid and confusing

12. Written by CMiner
    on 2009-07-03 at 15:34

Looks very cool, I’ll be looking forward to seeing Neil as a vampire.

On the subject of the plot, it reminds me somewhat of the “Last Blood” webcomic.