Gore Verbinski to direct new Clue movie

clue-the-movieI’ll just say this now: This project must be stopped. Why? Because we don’t need another Clue movie, as reported by Variety.

Even though the fact that it had three endings which were shuffled among theaters was a gimmick and it only made $2 million in its opening weekend ($3.8M, if you adjust for inflation), 1985’s Clue: The Movie as written and directed by Jonathan Lynn, and starring such fantastic character actors as Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Martin Mull, and Lesley Ann Warren is a great example of what one can do with a great concept that doesn’t really have a rich story or plot: You cheese it up.

And I am very fond of cheese.

Instead, production studio Blind Wink senior vice president Jonathan Krauss was quoted as saying that this new version of the classic 1948 board game Clue will be “a global thriller [emphasis mine] and transmedia event that uses deductive reasoning as its storytelling engine.”

I hope he can hear me rolling my eyes over there.

Posted on February 25, 2009 at 07:13 by Trisha Lynn · Permalink

1. Written by MC
    on 2009-02-25 at 12:23

Well, I could hear your eyes rolling.

2. Written by milesperminute
    on 2009-02-25 at 13:47

NOOOO! This is one childhood memory that must not be tarnished. Tim Curry’s incredible slapstick, and explaining “how it was all done”.

Cheese is the only way to make a boardgame-movie transition.

3. Written by milesperminute
    on 2009-02-25 at 14:23

ok, my righteous fury has calmed a bit… as long as it is as far as possible from the 1985 version in every possible way – I could see it being alright. (better than Candyland anyway)

4. Written by Jacob Moore
    on 2009-02-25 at 16:23

I definitely heard your eyes rolling. I loved this movie, we don’t need another one!

5. Written by Tsiwt
    on 2009-02-26 at 03:13

Obviously just riding on the coattails of the Candyland movie.

Makes me want to option “Hungry Hungry Hippos”. Perhaps as a black comedy about eating disorders in wildlife?

6. Written by Tsiwt
    on 2009-02-26 at 03:18

To be clear, I also, am a big fan of the original Clue. You almost can’t go wrong with a cast like that one.

Hm … think I could get Meryl Streep, Mickey Rorke, and Ellen Page? I think Jason Patric would make a great “Green” hippo, too.

7. Written by BlueNight
    on 2009-03-01 at 22:20

“Good shot!” *checks wound…* “Very good shot!”

8. Written by Norq
    on 2009-03-03 at 02:13

“To make a long story short…”
    “Too late!”

The original Clue stands the test of time rather well. Leave it be!