Trailer Watch: Dragonball: Evolution international trailer

I’m not sure how we missed this one, but there it is for all your freeze frame-y pleasure. Since I’m only a lukewarm Dragonball fan, I’m okay with them tweaking the backstory a little bit, although I do wonder why Bulma is packing heat.

Justin Chatwin (Goku), Emmy Rossum (Bulma) and Chow Yun Fat (Roshi) are the good guy stars of Dragonball: Evolution, with James Marsters filling out the bad guy role of Piccolo. It’s first release date will be in Japan on March 12, 2009 while it will then go into wider release to the U.S. and several other countries on April 8.

Posted on December 31, 2008 at 06:34 by Trisha Lynn · Permalink

1. Written by Graehaus
    on 2008-12-31 at 09:03

My eyes! The goggles do nothzing… Man, this is in the vein of MK:Annihilation.. Or whatever the Second MK movie was called. Goku is supposed to be fun loving, not emo.

2. Written by Trisha Lynn
    on 2008-12-31 at 10:54

Gyah… I remember the first MK and how terrible it was. It was so bad, I avoided the second.

I know that Goku isn’t supposed to be emo, but any good story needs some dramatic tension and you can’t keep giving it to the supporting characters in a theatrical format.

3. Written by Joel
    on 2008-12-31 at 13:38

YOu are right to be lukewarm on Dragonball Z. I remember in high school really trying to get into it, racing home after school to catch it on Cartoon Network. I waited one entire month for the planet that “is going to blow in 5 minutes!” to finally explode (mean the mean time both hero and villain each discovering they could power-up four times more than “anyone thought possible”).

It had to be the most drawn out plot I’ve ever seen, practically to the point of standing still. That’s just lazy writing.

4. Written by Matt
    on 2008-12-31 at 21:14

There is no God

5. Written by Suki
    on 2008-12-31 at 23:54

….this is going to be horrible for the fans.. why is goku white? WHY ARE THEY WHITE?! COME ON… asian manga,asian anime…ASIAN MOVIE =w=;; But.. I will be fair to this movie… I will watch it..then truly hate it.=w= possibly burn that movie ticket…at least picolo is more green…>.> -sighs- I wonder what the naruto live action movie will be like now .__<

6. Written by djpowwow
    on 2009-01-01 at 03:19

Didn’t get a good look at Marsters as Piccolo, but in the few chances you see his face in the vid he looks like… well, like a bald, green Spike. Meh, could be worse. I’m sure I’ll find many, many more gripes, but it’ll take time to catalogue them all… About the only positive thing I have to say about the trailer at this point is that the “Capsule Corp.” motorcycle/ATV-thing was a pretty cool effect.

7. Written by dave
    on 2009-01-01 at 12:35

in the words of my generation:

meh.

8. Written by Clay
    on 2009-01-01 at 14:42

W
    T
    F

9. Written by slash
    on 2009-01-02 at 12:29

this is to joel about the 5 minutes turning into a month thing. what alot of people who complain about that don’t realize when the show was made in japan it was running alongside the manga and you cant let the show get ahead of the source material so they had to lengthen stuff and drag stuff out to keep them from getting ahead of the manga

10. Written by Daikaiju
    on 2009-01-03 at 08:16

Actually there’s several instances in the original manga and anime where Bulma whips out a gun.

11. Written by Jorn
    on 2009-01-04 at 01:09

This is the first I’d heard of this, and it looks awful. Of course, it’s ten years too late for me to be in the target audience, so my opinion isn’t all that important. I am, though, glad that they’re starting with Dragonball not Dragonball Z.
    Oh, and Chow Yun Fat is awesome, so I’ll probably netflix this when it comes available

12. Written by Genevieve
    on 2009-01-04 at 03:38

A decade late and a giveadamn short.

Ah, who am I kidding? I was young enough when Dragon Ball Z was on Cartoon Network for it to have been a formative experience for me (and for Y7 to mean something). I’ll probably see it on opening day, too, since it’s being released within a few days of my birthday.

…Nope, still not excited. God knows I tried for nostalgia’s sake.