Baz Luhrmann wants to piss all over The Great Gatsby

greatgatsby1Australia has just hit the box office with a resounding thud, not even earning half its $130 million budget back since its release — just possibly, because it wasn’t very good (although I wouldn’t know, personally). Director Baz Luhrmann (Moulin Rouge) has even addressed this recently, defensively saying, “A lot of reviewers like Australia. And we’re making people cry; I know because they write to us. But there are those that don’t get it. A lot of the film scientists don’t get it. And it’s not just that that they don’t get it, but they hate it and they hate me, and they think I’m the black hole of cinema. They say, ‘He shouldn’t have made it, and he should die.'”

Well, I wouldn’t go that far, but I thought his Romeo + Juliet was painfully stupid, full of (to borrow a phrase) sound and fury… and a whole mess of actors — save Pete Postlethwaite — who didn’t understand the words coming out of their stupid mouths, and the precious few minutes I saw of Moulin Rouge guaranteed I would never watch the whole thing. He should retire.

But nope, he’s not. For his next trick, Baz Luhrmann is going back to dicking up other peoples’ stories, rather than his own: he told The Hollywood Reporter today that he’s lined up F. Scott’s Fitzgerald’s Depression-era novel The Great Gatsby for his next project.

…Right.

Posted on December 18, 2008 at 18:44 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

1. Written by HeyZeus
    on 2008-12-18 at 19:19

Damn, look at how full of himself he is. We don’t think hes the black hole of cinema, Uwe Boll is. Not only can he not make good movies, but if you say you don’t like them he’ll staunchly defend them… with punches.

2. Written by Trisha Lynn
    on 2008-12-19 at 08:47

I may be a big, dumb, sappy girl for saying this, but I liked Moulin Rouge but then again, I’m also a fan of musicals and dancing. I’m sure that if I really analyzed the story, I’d find it dumb, but the soundtrack to that film gets very heavy rotation in my iPod at work.

3. Written by Staatz
    on 2008-12-19 at 09:04

I liked ‘Moulin Rouge’ and ‘Australia’ – no accounting for taste eh?

He really should get over himself- though I did think a lot of critics did not give ‘Australia’ a fair shake simply because it was trying to hard…

Anyhow he really isn’t a good fit with ‘The Great Gatsby’ so I put that one on my ‘to ignore’ list.

4. Written by Lethal Interjection
    on 2008-12-20 at 16:31

I simply love his quote. He is a great filmmaker that just loves to make fun of his audience. Both Romeo and Juliet and Moulin Rouge did it so wonderfully and with subtlety. And so few pick up on it. And that quote has the same tone.
    I haven’t seen Australia yet, personally, but I’m fine with his double-reverse-satire, and I rather enjoy watching the ridiculousness.

on 2008-12-20 at 16:52

Sure, the ridiculousness is endearing to some people, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But can he reign it in for a proper Great Gatsby adaptation?

Reviews of Australia suggest this is probably not the case.

6. Written by Paul S
    on 2008-12-22 at 22:23

Decades of school children will thank him for saving them from having to read the novel.

7. Written by Mike C
    on 2008-12-23 at 02:31

Yes, but the adaptation will be so far from the book that they’ll do horribly on the tests if they only see the film.