Trailer Watch: New Coraline trailer

I’m having a little trouble adjusting to the character designs. I keep wishing it looked more like Dave McKean’s stuff. But it looks fun anyway.

Henry Selick’s 3D, stop-motion adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s Coraline opens February 6th.

Posted on November 19, 2008 at 23:26 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers

1. Written by Tsiwt
    on 2008-11-20 at 01:58

“written for the screen and directed by Harry Selick”? Any idea how close this stays to Gaiman’s original book (which I haven’t read, but have on loan, I think)?

I guess Sellick IS a better known name to most moviegoers then Gaiman? Still seems interesting, and odd, to not mention his name, at least, since I’ve had Coraline so firmly associated with it until now.

Kinda like people will be talking about “Zack Snyder’s Watchmen” or “Frank Miller’s The Spirit” (ironic becusle there it’s one writher who’s work has been co-opted inthe past now co-opting his idol. :)

Maybe someday we’ll be watching “Matt a Tray Parker’s Multiplex” :P

2. Written by Tsiwt
    on 2008-11-20 at 02:03

Proper analogy would have been (will be?) “Tray Parker and Matt Stone’s Multiplex”. Or even better, maybe … “Kevin Smith’s Multiplex?” WOudl you sell out to live action for, say, $2 mil? :)

And understand, I meant that as the highest possible compliment, Gordon. After all, I basically just stuck you in the same League, via analogy, as Gaiman, Moore, AND Eisner.

Still, I’m betting reading that sent a shiver down your spine. :) And Im also thinking maybe this belongs more int he Multiplex forum, perhaps. :)

3. Written by snow!
    on 2008-11-20 at 08:47

I love the book Coraline, it is such a creepy story but it gets creepy kinda slowly. The creepiness creeps up on you I guess. And the character of Coraline is supposed to be a smart, thoughtful, imaginative girl who seemed kind of quiet in the books. Her lines were always sparse yet evocative which is what made it seem like a children’s book (simple dialogue) and a novel (meaningful character) at the same time. I don’t get the feeling from this trailer that I did reading the book. I don’t know that any sort of animation is the way to go for this story, its sparseness is what made it creepy in the first place. I don’t think I’ll like the character of Coraline in the movie as much as in the book.

4. Written by Pedro Steckecilo
    on 2008-11-20 at 10:13

That still looks pretty good though. And if you really need your perfect Gaiman/McKean fix there is always Mirrormask.

on 2008-11-20 at 10:42

McKean is my favorite illustrator, and I think the visuals on Mirrormask were superb, but I thought the story was a little lacking.

However, if you liked Mirrormask, you should watch this short film he did, called The Week Before:

6. Written by Sabine Griffin
    on 2008-11-20 at 14:37

woah.

ok, characters…..meh.

storyline……. coraline and pan’s labyrinth’s lovechild

i hope it stays true to the book.

AND WHY ISN”T NEIL GAIMAN”S NAME IN THERE???? most of the movies he’s involved with have been great (beowulf, you don’t get to be in that category)

7. Written by Alison
    on 2008-11-22 at 01:15

I feel the darkness of the book has been compromised to broaden the audience. In a bad way.

The Gaiman name withholding is definitely amiss. I also don’t like that her hair is blue.