Trailer Watch: JJ Abrams's Star Trek full trailer

You probably caught it in theaters in front of Quantum of Solace this weekend, but if your theater didn’t have it, or if a bunch of douchebag fratboys were talking fucking constantly while it was playing like in my theater, then here it is. You can check it out in glorious Quicktime over at Apple. Star Trek hits warp speed in on May 8th.

I’m not a huge Trek fan (I don’t much care for it, other than a few episodes of the original series and Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, which is one of the best science fiction movies ever made), but this looks like fun. Even so, I can see where purists will cringe at a few things: Kirk as a “bad boy,” the Enterprise being built on Earth, etc.

Posted on November 17, 2008 at 13:55 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers

1. Written by Draksila
    on 2008-11-17 at 23:51

I never really cared for Star Trek much, myself. I liked Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, and First Contact… and the Next Gen episode ‘The Inner Light’ really got to me. But my father is a huge Trek fan, and can still quote the movies word for word. As such, I’ve been exposed to a lot of it.

In all honesty, Kirk was always a bad boy. They’re just modernizing the ‘bad.’ Previously it was the cocksure cowboy ‘hell with orders’ kind of bad; now it looks a bit more like an edgy, charismatic thrill junkie. I don’t see it as that much of a leap. As for the rest… well, I don’t see this relaunch as being for the old fans, in the strictest sense. It’s supposed to pull in new ones.

As always, just my opinion here.

2. Written by Pedro Steckecilo
    on 2008-11-19 at 09:32

Also not a big Trek fan, but I think this movie looks like it will be alot of fun, that and it looks to be packed with some good Sci-Fi adventure, something that Star Trek always lacked and that always made me avoid the series.

on 2008-11-19 at 09:42

Star Trek 2 is action-packed. Well, action-packed enough. The ship battle at the end is awesome.

4. Written by Pedro Steckecilo
    on 2008-11-19 at 13:53

*puts Wrath of Khan on his movies to watch list* All I’ve ever seen is The Undiscovered Country, The Quest for Peace and First Contact, I enjoyed them.

on 2008-11-19 at 13:59

Before you see Wrath of Khan, you should download/watch the episode “Space Seed” from the original series (it should be on iTunes or something), because the movie is a sequel to that episode.

6. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on 2008-11-19 at 15:44

I concur. Just watched Wrath of Khan recently and it holds up like a mofo. Not only as a good Star Trek movie, but as a really good movie in any genre. A nice balance of action and high drama with characterization and emotion galore.

I’m no Trekkie, but I always liked that movie and I’m thrilled about this reboot.

7. Written by Graehaus
    on 2008-11-20 at 04:30

I am no really trekkie/trekker. I found it too squeaky clean of a future ( B5 had it right). But this looks good. I know purist are anal about everything, but this is another look at the franchise, and hopefully in my life, they might do the same with the prequels of Star Wars.

8. Written by Sabine Griffin
    on 2008-11-20 at 14:45

Woah. As a kid I was a trekkie (at age eight i fell in love with spock. no, seriously. first crush. ……yes. i’m weird. don’t judge.) but this…. THIS is fucking crazy.

This Kirk does nothing for me, to be honest. The actor (from the minute or so of footage) strikes me as kinda a douche. dunno. just me maybe.

anyway…. i think zachary quinto will make an okay spock. he’s got the weird, eerie calm to do it. and… is it just me, or does he look startling like leonard nemoy???

on 2008-11-20 at 14:51

I’m not sold on Chris Pine, either. “Kind of a douche” pretty much hits the nail on the head.

But I’ve also never seen him in a movie besides Smokin’ Aces.

10. Written by tony
    on 2008-11-20 at 19:45

true, but Abrams was able to take the Mission Impossible series and make a great movie out of the two polar opposite films that preceded the third movie. if he can do that with Tom Cruise, then he should be able to do something with Pine.

11. Written by Alison
    on 2008-11-22 at 01:20

No doubt that Spock-Kirk action was inspired and made possible by the huge Adama-Tigh clashes on the hugely popular new Battlestar Galactica. Seems like its whole existence really made this new refurbishing possible.

Looks kinda neat, impressive casting.

12. Written by Pyran
    on 2008-11-24 at 23:16

What we really should have gotten instead was Serenity 2. This looks like an attempt to capitalize on the name of Trek but with an entirely different approach, atmosphere, characterization, etc. I think they’re going to end up pissing both sides off.