Brett Ratner is directing Conan—no wait, Beverly Hills Cop 4

conanThe LA Times has an interview with X-Men: The Last Stand director Brett Ratner where he says the recent news that he was directing the upcoming Conan the Barbarian do-over was premature. Says Ratner:

Let me make this very clear.… I am not doing Conan now. This is totally premature. For now, Conan is only a development deal. I have a deal at Paramount and I’m doing Beverly Hills Cop [4] first, no matter what. [Conan producer] Avi [Lerner] shouldn’t be telling you or anyone else in the press what I’m doing.

It just goes to show you that “final negotiations” isn’t the same as “signed.” (As the LA Times article points out: “The blogosphere wasn’t quite so discerning, with some Web outlets simply saying that Ratner was ‘officially directing’ the film.” Not us, baby!)

Apparently Avi Lerner is in the habit of doing things prematurely: see that “2009” on the teaser poster? Not happening.

Posted on November 12, 2008 at 18:08 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

1. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on 2008-11-12 at 19:09

Brett Ratner, Conan, and BHC 4. If I had to choose which one of those three sucks the hardest, it could take me days.

Is anybody making any real movies anymore? Why do people hate real movies and devour crap?

on 2008-11-12 at 19:22

It’s not that people aren’t MAKING real movies; it’s that Hollywood is too busy chasing after blockbusters to distribute real movies.

JCVD, Synecdoche NY, Special, and Slumdog Millionaire all look somewhere between good and fantastic (I already saw Synecdoche and like it quite a bit, though your mileage my vary)… and none of them are getting wide releases.

Well, maybe Slumdog if it gets an Oscar nomination.

3. Written by Rex Hondo
    on 2008-11-13 at 08:15

For the love of God, no. Why, oh why would they give a movie like Conan to a known killer of franchises? Do they just want to make Conan the Destroyer look better by comparison?

4. Written by Gordon
    on 2008-11-13 at 09:08

As much as I dislike Brett Ratner, X-Men 3 was not entirely his fault. It was also the producers’ fault for insisting on that script and that release date.

5. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on 2008-11-13 at 16:37

I agree. X-Men 3 was SUCH a bad script. Nobody could’ve saved that movie.

6. Written by Jesus DeSaad
    on 2008-11-15 at 17:15

Rush Hour 3, however, was All Ratner.
    I for one am satisfied that he doesn’t touch the Cimmerian.

(Actually I’d rather see a Beowulf-style CGI Conan instead.)