Superman Reboots

The Wall Street Journal has a chat with Warner Brothers Group President Jeff Grubinov, and has this tidbit of new information:

The studio is set to announce its plans for future DC movies in the next month. For now, though, it is focused on releasing four comic-book films in the next three years, including a third Batman film, a new film reintroducing Superman, and two movies focusing on other DC Comics characters. Movies featuring Green Lantern, Flash, Green Arrow, and Wonder Woman are all in active development. (emphasis added)

Creatively, [Grubinov] sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.’ DC properties. “We’re going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it,” he says. That goes for the company’s Superman franchise as well.

…Which worries me a little for the boy in blue, but I suppose any approach to the character can be done well, with the right creative team. Presumably Brandon Routh will not be returning.

We’ll find out more “in the next month,” I guess!

Posted on August 22, 2008 at 09:51 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

1. Written by Ben W
    on 2008-08-22 at 10:27

Sounds to me like a no-nothing corporate stuffed suit trying to sound intelligent when all he’s doing is ripping off what *he* thinks is the reason Batman was successful – ‘cuz it was Dark!

Batman is thematically dark, as it should be. They tried to make Spiderman dark and they screwed the pooch. Let’s hope they let people run the shows for these movies that understand the important themes of the stories of our favorite superheroes.

on 2008-08-22 at 10:32

Yup, that’s what worried me.

BUT… Superman’s villains could be dark. EVIL. With Superman standing in contrast to that. That, I think, could work in a movie. And that’s not entirely incompatible with what he’s talking about.

It doesn’t necessarily need to mean emo angsty bullshit.

3. Written by Laddical
    on 2008-08-22 at 11:11

I hope you’re right, Gordon. I floved Superman Returns when it first hit, and while that’s tempered with time, I still think it’s the best live-action Superman yet (Superman II would be soooo close if it weren’t for all the tiny little problems that are like daggers of the mind in my book). While I’d be more disappointed in the notion of a reboot than even a Singer-free sequel, I guess I can deal with it, but not if they’re going to mess with what makes him Superman in the first place.

4. Written by transient
    on 2008-08-25 at 09:24

All this ‘reboot’ nonsense just strikes me as ridiculous. I understand Superman Returns and The Hulk didn’t pull in 400% profit, but they still profited, and they did what they were supposed to do story wise. At least with Batman, it was 16 years later, not 16 months. And it was a franchise shot to hell, not a single film that was only moderately successfull. These people need to scrap the reboot and just tell a new damn story, there’s decades of them out there.

(that said, I may welcome a reboot of Daredevil if for no other reason than to scrub the idea of Ben Affleck from the role ;) )

on 2008-08-25 at 09:30

Well… if they want to get rid of the widely-hated Superkid, they do have to reboot. They can’t just ignore it.

6. Written by il_bicho
    on 2008-08-26 at 10:14

well i think i do have a solution to make the new superman film darker and get rid of the super kid, have someone kill, the superkid, get superman seriously pissed and have him wear the black suit from superman lives, problen solved, hey they might be even able to use the pocketworld dimension story, you know where superman kills zod and his group, now he has a deeper reason for it.