More remakes, sequels, spin-offs and adaptations, blah blah blah

Insert tired rant about Hollywood’s lack of originality that completely ignores the existence of independent film here.

Darren Aronofsky’s RoboCop film is “definitely not a sequel,” according to co-producer Mike Medavoy, adding that he preferred the term “reimagining.” (Source: MTV)

After Mike Myers bombed with The Love Guru, he’s predictably going back to the well for Austin Powers 4, which is centering around the relationship between Dr. Evil and his son, Scott Evil (Seth Green). It will be very touching, I’m sure. (Coming Soon)

DJ-turned-producer Howard Stern has landed Alex Winter (a.k.a. Bill from Bill & Ted movies) to pen his remake of Rock ‘n Roll High School. And, while this is old news, if you didn’t know (I didn’t), Stern is also planning a Porky’s remake, which will undoubtely be spanktastic. (Source: Variety)

Sony is “moving forward” with a Venom spin-off from the Spider-Man franchise, but has no screenwriter or director attached. Fans of the character are probably a little unsure what to think, because it’s spinning off of the widely reviled Spider-Man 3, but it’s also a chance to do justice to the character that his first screen appearance arguably did not… and, as a Spidey spin-off about a character Sam Raimi dislikes, Sam Raimi will almost undoubtedly have little to do with the project. Sony is still aiming for releasing Spider-Man 4 in 2011, but also has no writers or a director signed. (Source: The Hollywood Reporter)

The rumored live-action Cowboy Bebop movie has not even been announced yet, so the idea that Keanu Reeves has supposedly been attached to it for eight months just seems a bit silly to me. Give me a break; the film’s PR people would be all over that shit. (Source: rumor-mongering dumbasses)

Related posts: Darren Aronofsky’s RoboCop — it’s official

Posted on July 31, 2008 at 09:01 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

1. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-08-01 at 07:08

Shit, a live action Bebop movie is sort of one of those things that you want to see, and yet you know that no one could ever do the source material proper justice. I really hope nothing comes of that.

And do we know if they’re keeping Topher Grace as Venom?

2. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on 2008-08-01 at 07:55

I watched the original RoboCop the other night and I gotta say it holds up well.

Could it be Aronofsky’s pissed that he missed on the Batman relaunch (and the $$), so now he’s picking another franchise?

on 2008-08-01 at 08:58

Caolan — from the HR article: “Topher Grace played the character in the film, but agents have been eyeing the role for their clients, as Sony is not yet convinced the actor can carry a tentpole picture.”

4. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-08-01 at 10:34

I’m not really sure how I feel about that one way or the other. I mean, Grace wasn’t great, but who else would they get?

5. Written by Psychoe
    on 2008-08-03 at 02:04

Oh god, Keanu Reeves should stay far, faaaar…..away from Cowboy Bebop and it’d be loads better for it.

As for Topher Grace coming back, I think it’s pretty unlikely since he probably doesn’t have enough star power to carry a summer blockbuster like this on his own. I could be wrong though.

6. Written by Gordon
    on 2008-08-03 at 08:04

Did Tobey Maguire before Spider-Man? Did ANYBODY in Star Wars? Did Robert Downey Jr., or Christian Bale?

“Star power” doesn’t mean a damn thing if the movie looks good.

7. Written by Psychoe
    on 2008-08-03 at 23:56

To Gordon: Totally agreed!

I could have worded it better because I guess I meant that from the studios’ and producers’ perspective (which can be wrong a lot of times!)

8. Written by Trisha Lynn
    on 2008-08-04 at 05:06

It really depends on the producer, I think. Think about the number of stars they got to do the LotR movies as opposed to the non-stars. They went with largely unknowns for some key roles, like Legolas and I certainly didn’t have Viggo Mortensen on my horizon when I saw the first movie. The LotR producers did the right thing by trusting in Jackson’s casting decisions. Let’s hope the CB producer does the same thing.

As for Christian Bale, he definitely had star power before Batman Begins, but it was indie and art house star power, not geek movie star power.