Trailer Watch: Pretend you're in a movie theater for this one…

One of the best things about seeing trailers for the first time in a movie theater is that you don’t already know what movie you’re watching the trailer for. To that end, I want you to watch this without me actually telling you what movie it is…

Posted on July 28, 2008 at 09:08 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink

on 2008-07-28 at 09:35

So now that you’ve seen it, it’s obviously Oliver Stone’s “W.” And I don’t really know what to think of it yet. The juxtaposition of the intertitle “What Drove George W. Bush?” and his eyes looking up almost reverently almost undoubtedly alludes to his born-again conversion, but how much real politics are we going to get into in the film? (That’s probably hoping for too much; it’s Oliver Stone, after all.) I’m most certainly not interested in a slim biopic that exists solely to paint the monkey like the idiot fucktard that he is.

2. Written by Bingage
    on 2008-07-28 at 10:10

um. I know I’m splitting hairs here, but shouldn’t we be waiting until the man is at leas OUT of office before we go one way or the other on making a movie about him? I mean, I’m still waiting for a Bill Clinton movie. We waited a long time to get historically driven movies about good, effective presidents, and GW gets one bfore he’s done? This is pretty much the…anyways, much like I felt United 93 came out too soon, I really believe this is too. We need distance to have perspective.

3. Written by Kyle Voltti
    on 2008-07-28 at 10:27

oh I’m sure it will be as fair and ballanced as say anything by Fox News

4. Written by Jackson
    on 2008-07-28 at 18:07

There is no comment section anywhere that doesn’t have young adults filled with malcontent that spew their venom, turning the internet into a the intellectual equivalent of a child’s play thing.
    What do you have to gain from saying things like

“I’m most certainly not interested in a slim biopic that exists solely to paint the monkey like the idiot fucktard that he is.”

on 2008-07-28 at 22:18

What do I have to gain? Nothing. I just call a spade a spade.

6. Written by Gerald
    on 2008-07-29 at 00:32

If they had just gone ahead and had Dana Carvey as George Sr, then maybe I would have cared.

7. Written by Josh W
    on 2008-07-29 at 06:24

This may be slightly late on to the wagon, but, and this is entirely unmotivated by politics, why the fuck are we making a movie about George W. Bush? His presidency has been not much more than a failure, much of which, sadly, cannot be blamed on him (thinking geo-political), and we, as a society, condone this film? Last I checked, Oliver Stone was a respected film maker, and I would have thought that if he were to approach a film in a historical perspective, it would at least be history. As of yet, no one has won, therefore no history can be written.

Secondly, and please bear with me, my grandmother went into school girl giggles when she showed me her Elvis stamps. A geriatric school girl fit over philatelist memorabilia is an entertaining sight on its own, but more importantly, the reason Elvis got his stamp, he had died. In fact, that was a requirement to get your own stamp. (still is in Britain i think.) So dead Elvis = Stamp. Politically lame president mid second term = dramatic film starring the newly loved Josh Brolin. Huh?

on 2008-07-29 at 06:37

“why the fuck are we making a movie about George W. Bush? His presidency has been not much more than a failure”

Did you think for a second that may be the point of the movie?

As for nobody “winning” yet, the story has been characterized as being about his “rise to power,” so that’s irrelevant.

9. Written by Jackson
    on 2008-07-29 at 14:32

It will make gobs of money. The trailer doesn’t show enough substance yet, but I’m guessing it will be the equivalent of anti bush bumper stickers.

10. Written by Stephen
    on 2008-07-29 at 23:52

Well mind I’m not privy to Mr. Stone’s outlook but maybe it’s his way of saying, “Why the F**K did we let this idjit run the country the last 8 years!?”

Just guessing mind you.

11. Written by Drakyn
    on 2008-07-30 at 02:43

The man has already inspired 2 Television series and the very poor “American Dreams”. Isn’t that enough?

I hate to admit it though, but the trailer does pique my interest. He’s had a more turbulent(if not admirable) life than most Western Political Figures, It should be interesting as long as it’s not outright biased For/Against him.

I’d feel guilty as hell if I paid money to see it though, Guess I’m gonna wait for HBO