Trailer Watch: Watchmen teaser

The Watchmen teaser trailer snuck online earlier today and has ended up at MovieWeb, but it’ll probably get taken down very soon. It should be officially back up at Empire at 8PM Central Friday morning. Unless you’re totally impatient, I would advise waiting for the better video quality. (EDIT: Yep, it’s at Empire now — and now at Apple, too, in glorious Quicktime.)

The many special effects shots look good although some look unfinished (it being several months away and all), so that’s not worth commenting on — but more importantly, do you think all that slow-mo bullshit will just be in the trailer and not the movie, too, like that idiotic fanboy circle jerk 300? Yeah, I didn’t think so either.

Zack Snyder’s Watchmen stars Patrick Wilson, Jackie Earle Haley, Matthew Goode, Billy Crudup, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Malin Akerman and Carla Gugino. The movie will ruin the comic book forever on March 6, 2009. (Kidding.)

In kinda-sorta-not really related news, go read the Alan Moore Q&A over at Entertainment Weekly. Here’s a snippet with Moore talking about 300:

EW: Don’t you have the slightest curiosity about what Watchmen director Zack Snyder is doing with your work?
ALAN MOORE:
I would rather not know.

EW: He’s supposed to be a very nice guy.
MOORE: He may very well be, but the thing is that he’s also the person who made 300. I’ve not seen any recent comic book films, but I didn’t particularly like the book 300. I had a lot of problems with it, and everything I heard or saw about the film tended to increase [those problems] rather than reduce them: [that] it was racist, it was homophobic, and above all it was sublimely stupid.

Related posts: Update on Tales of the Black Freighter; Watchmen character photos online, Tales of the Black Freighter… anime? (updated)

Posted on July 17, 2008 at 16:35 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News · Tagged with:

1. Written by Pete
    on 2008-07-17 at 18:08

All logic tells me I shouldn’t be excited…but I can’t help it.

2. Written by Jason
    on 2008-07-17 at 19:10

You know, I was ready to give it the benefit of the doubt before you pointed out all of the slo-mo bullshit. Dammit.

I guess I gotta agree with Alan Moore, it’s such a comic book-y comic book, it just defies logic to translate it. Oh well, I’ll still go see it.

on 2008-07-17 at 19:29

Uhh… sorry? Don’t let my knee-jerk reaction sway you!

Maybe the slow-mo is only in the trailer, or used very sparingly, or… uh…

Okay, I really doubt it.

4. Written by Pete
    on 2008-07-18 at 01:44

I’m telling myself that they just put all the slow-mo in the trailer to grab the mainstream audience and the rest is normal. Yep…that’s what it is…

5. Written by Staatz
    on 2008-07-18 at 11:13

Putting slow-motion in a teaser for a franchise that is not *universally* known as a way of introducing it to the broader public makes since… but then it is the guy that directed the 300 movie. So I do kind of agree with Moore, even though his ego is as ridiculously over sized as his beard…

6. Written by Anton Sherwood
    on 2008-07-18 at 12:25

Why did they make Ozy monochrome?!

7. Written by Skeeter
    on 2008-07-18 at 15:10

[EDIT: POSSIBLE SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN’T READ THE BOOK] Why did they make Ozy so obviously the villain? That’s the better question.

on 2008-07-18 at 17:49

I don’t think it would be so obvious to people who haven’t read the book, Skeeter.

9. Written by Skeeter
    on 2008-07-19 at 19:13

Apologies for not placing the spoiler warning with my initial post. POSSIBLE SPOILERS FOLLOWING THIS WARNING!

I’m referring more to the casting (he just looks suspicious, when he was far more likeable, both in appearance and demeanor, in the comic) and the fact that he appears immediately after the Comedian gets thrown through the window in the trailer. The sequence of the trailer and the shot chosen for his “introduction” makes him look suspicious. I honestly think that those with no familiarity with the story would pick him out as the bad guy.

10. Written by Pete
    on 2008-07-20 at 09:51

After seeing the trailer with friends who don’t know the story, they had no idea what the movie was about nevermind who the bad guy was.

11. Written by Vince
    on 2008-07-21 at 00:41

i hate that they’re marketing Watchmen as a typical superhero/action film when it should’nt be. cause you know, it really isn’t. i have a strong feeling i’m going to hate this as much as V for Vendetta. I could hate it even more because i love watchmen. i wish they would give alan moore’s work to an indie director who knows how to make deep psychological films and will stay true to source material while putting a good spin on it rather than saying surprise we have your movie rights and raping you simultaneously.

12. Written by Skeeter
    on 2008-07-21 at 11:54

Fair enough, Pete. It was just a general feeling I got from the trailer…

I just really hope that the entire movie isn’t in slow-motion.

13. Written by Lode
    on 2008-07-22 at 20:44

Alright, this is just a hypothesis, so bear with me.

Now, I Read 300 before the movie was released, then, when I saw the movie, the slow-mo/fast forward action sequences actually reminded me of the panels of said comic that were being depicted. The same thing with this trailer, like at the beginning when we see Dr. Manhattan’s Origin. That Slow-mo sequence represents the panel where Dr. Osterman/Dr. Manhattan gets atomized.

Does that explain the slow-mo/fast forward action sequences to you?

on 2008-07-22 at 21:05

Yeah, I get that. It’s pretty apparent that’s what he’s doing. And that’s why I hated it.

These are movies, not comic books on the big screen. I can just read the comic all over again if I just wanted to see exactly the same thing. Show me a SHOT, not a PANEL — and more importantly, show me a SCENE, not a series of panels with voiceover narration.

15. Written by Lode
    on 2008-07-22 at 23:02

OK, I see your point there.

switching gears for a sec, In all honesty, I’m really looking forward to Watchmen. Zack Snyder has stated that the movie’s going to be true to the comic as much as possible, otherwise, the fans of Watchmen shall have Zack’s head on a silver platter.