Go, Read: Hello, Dolly songsmith on WALL•E

The Associated Press has a sweet article (and by that I mean “awww” not “SWEET!”) on Hello, Dolly composer Jerry Herman’s reactions to his songs gaining a grand new level of life and meaning in the latest Pixar masterpiece, WALL•E.

“My eyes were really wet at both the opening and the closing of the film, and just the wonderful way those songs were used to make him more human,” Herman said. “That’s really what they did.”

Director Andrew Stanton (Finding Nemo) also comments a bit in the AP article, and recently spoke to the Gloucester Daily Times about the Hello, Dolly – WALL•E connection, as well. The Daily Times article reveals that Stanton took part in his Rockport High School production of the musical.

If you haven’t seen WALL•E yet, go now. For the love of God, go now. And if you don’t like WALL•E, you are a soulless robot.

Related posts: Disney and Pixar’s upcoming animated films, Trailer Watch: Final WALL•E trailer

Posted on July 3, 2008 at 08:32 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Interviews · Tagged with: ,

1. Written by MC
    on 2008-07-03 at 10:27

“And if you don’t like WALL•E, you are a soulless robot.”

Or a right-wing crank that thinks it is leftist propaganda and not a quality piece of emotionally-engaging entertainment.

on 2008-07-03 at 10:32

Or that, yeah. :)

3. Written by BlueNight
    on 2008-07-03 at 19:55

You know, I AM a right-wing crank, and I thought it was the best film I’d seen since Iron Man. (Spoilers below.)

“OMG, it’s environmentalism!!!” Really? It was “Don’t litter” writ big, and even the director says it’s simply the most visually obvious way to tell the story of why humans left Earth in the hands of cleanup robots.

“OMG, it’s anti-consumerism!!!” Really? If anything, Buy’n’Large represents some sort of uber-American Communism; instead of the state taking over the corporations, one megamonopoly which has surpassed all competitors now takes over the state. It’s Ayn Rand’s nightmare in reverse, with free dental and lifetime health care.

I only found one flaw, and that was the sheer volume of garbage still being generated after 700 years. Perhaps the Axiom is still receiving visits from supply ships…

4. Written by Gordon
    on 2008-07-03 at 20:27

STILL SPOILERS:

“Still being generated”? I don’t follow you there.

The massive winds would blow any loose garbage around constantly, if that addresses what you mean; I don’t get where you think there was still garbage being generated. One little robot wouldn’t have been able to clean up jack shit, even after 700 years. (And even assuming he wasn’t alone for more than a few hundred years of it.)
    There was only one moment that didn’t work for me: when WALL•E pulled the plant out to show EVE in the cold vacuum of outer space. It would have instantly died, wouldn’t it? (Hell, I don’t know.) Still, it was a very minor thing, and it pulled me out of the movie for only the briefest second.

5. Written by Lincoln
    on 2008-07-03 at 21:28

Yeah that was the only moment that bothered me too. Minor. Reading the negative reviews of the movie are pretty funny over at rotten tomatoes. Essentially all complaining that nothing happened or that it was heavy handed with its message. Personally, I thought it was great. Hard Sci-Fi for kids.

6. Written by G
    on 2008-07-04 at 11:43

WALL-E is indeed a MASTERPIECE. You were right dude :)

Oh btw- it’s me G, one of the guys who visited you at last week’s Wizard World. Y’know the Pinoy guy haha ^^. I posted your artwork actually on my blog: http://gzep.livejournal.com/118227.html

7. Written by BlueNight
    on 2008-07-05 at 10:33

Ah; I meant the Axiom’s trash pit. You know, where the Wall-Rs work. There’s way too much garbage generated by the Axiom. Unless the ship is SO efficient at recycling that the Wall-Rs are only called out once every hundred years or so.

The plant in vacuum bugged me too. However, plants are more resilient than animals; their motabolism is much more distributed and less time-sensitive. I wonder how it was growing in the first place, in a closed fridge, without access to sunlight or water.