Mark Millar wants Superman

The madman behind the original comics version of this week’s R-rated action hit Wanted wants to get in on the Superman action, and as he told the Daily Record, he’s got a “director and producer set up, and it’ll be 2011. This is how far ahead you have to think.”

He went on to explain, “The Superman brand is toxic after that last movie lost $200 million,* but in 2011 we’re hoping to restart it. Sadly I can’t say who the director is, but we may make it official by Christmas.”

* This is not true, but whatever.

He later expanded on this over at MillarWorld.TV:

In the interests of clarity (because I’m sure this will be picked up somewhere) a very well known American action director heard about my love of Superman, approached my and asked me to team up with [him] and his producer to make a pitch for this. We’ve been talking for several weeks now and, if this is going to happen, we’ll know by Christmas. He has huge pull at WB so fingers crossed. But this is nothing more than a huge US name pulling me into his fold and making me part of a package.

As recently as April, Legendary Pictures’ Thomas Tull “described a sequel in which we’d see ‘Superman as more of an angry god,'” and Singer has been talking about the film, as well, though, so… we’ll see. (Source: ComingSoon.net)

As Millar says, at this point, it is just crossed fingers, nothing concrete, but I’d be glad to see it happen, even though I’m in the apparent minority that actually liked Superman Returns (except for the lack of a climactic fight). Millar’s issues of Superman Adventures comics were some of the best Superman stories I’ve read in years. He may be best known for his misanthropic stuff (Wanted, Authority, etc.) but Millar really gets the character, and a big-screen reboot with his mind behind it could really be something special. As long as that “very well known American action director” isn’t Brett Ratner.

Posted on July 2, 2008 at 11:36 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News · Tagged with:

1. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on July 2, 2008 at 17:49

I groan at the mention of Brett Ratner.

I’m all for Millar taking over now that Singer and his writers are off the sequel (at least I think they are).

I loved Superman Returns. Is it lacking in action? Yeah, but it’s just more character-driven. It’s a beautiful companion piece to the original and the groundwork has been laid for a great future story line.

It’d be a shame to do a Hulk-like reboot now. I thought about that while watching the new Hulk movie. I was thinking, “THIS is what people wanted in Superman Returns.” Two Goliaths fighting it out with maximum destruction.

And yeah, the $200 million number that everybody loves to throw around — this thing was way in the hole long before Singer got hold of it. People forget about Nic Cage and Tim Burton and their salaries that were pissed away. There’s probably 30 mil right there.

on July 2, 2008 at 18:00

Or Michael Bay. Or Roland Emmerich. Any of those hacks.

Singer and his crew are still on the Superman sequel, last I heard.

I don’t think there was much wrong with Superman Returns, but a lot of people hated the addition of the kid. (Me, I didn’t mind.) And a reboot would be necessary to ignore that.

3. Written by Gerald
    on July 2, 2008 at 22:31

I haven’t seen Superman Returns; even Kevin Spacey, whom I regard as an excellent actor, couldn’t get me into a seat. Maybe it’s just me, but I really don’t care about Superman. I was more excited about Lex Luthor.

I think I stopped caring about the character shortly after there was that comic arc where he got the weird energy powers. I don’t even pick up his comics off the shelf, so I don’t see myself mustering much enthusiasm for any further Superman films.

4. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on July 3, 2008 at 09:42

McG was also attached at one point. YIPE!!

I can’t find any links right now, but I remember reading on superherohype.com that everybody was pretty much moving on to other things. Singer wants to remake “Logan’s Run” and one of the writers was gonna direct something.

But now I see Singer’s still thinking about it as recently as March, so maybe we’ll be okay.

on July 3, 2008 at 09:51

“Last I heard was this Justice League aberration was cast and in development, and the guy that plays Superman in that would be in the next reboot.”

Yeah, that was a total bullshit rumor.

6. Written by MaskedVigilante
    on July 3, 2008 at 20:05

Did you read Kevin Smith’s blog after he got a sneak preview of “The Dark Knight”?

“Without giving anything away, this is an epic film (and trust me: based on the sheer size and scope of the visuals and storytelling, that’s not an overstatement). It’s the “Godfather II” of comic book films and three times more earnest than “Batman Begins” (and fuck, was that an earnest film). Easily the most adult comic book film ever made. Heath Ledger didn’t so much give a performance as he disappeared completely into the role; I know I’m not the first to suggest this, but he’ll likely get at least an Oscar nod (if not the win) for Best Supporting Actor. Fucking flick’s nearly three hours long and only leaves you wanting more (in a great way). I can’t imagine anyone being disappointed by it. Nolan and crew have created something close to a masterpiece.”

I’m in.