Trailer Watch: Ponyo on a Cliff, Bolt, the Tale of Devereaux

It’s not quite a trailer, exactly, but the above snippet of… some Japanese TV program shows a good, lengthy glimpse from Hayao Miyazaki’s next film, Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea, due out in Japan in July. It looks like Miyazaki-sama is back in 100% kid-mode, à la Kiki’s Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro, and while I’m always hoping he’ll do another action-adventure like Nausicäa or Princess Mononoke, I’ll watch anything he does gladly. (Thanks to Drawn! for the heads up.)

Meanwhile, trailers for two more animated releases — Disney’s Bolt and Universal’s The Tale of Despereaux — are up at Empire and Yahoo! Movies, respectively.

Posted on July 1, 2008 at 13:40 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News, Trailers · Tagged with: , , ,

1. Written by Gerald
    on 2008-07-02 at 22:36

Did anyone else think of Goodfeathers when those pigeons showed up in the bolt trailer? And Penny? With a dog? Inspector Gadget, anyone? I was honestly hoping it was the premise of the show as the movie. Aaaaaand IMDB reveals that Penny is voiced by Miley Cyrus, aka Hannah Montana.

Well, great. I’ll be runnin’ for that one.

2. Written by Gerald
    on 2008-07-02 at 22:41

Okay, double post, but The Tale of Desperaux looks great. Checked the cast; very impressive. William H Macy, Christopher Lloyd, Kevin Kline, to name a few of my favorites. I am officially excited.

3. Written by Lee
    on 2008-07-10 at 17:22

And lest we forget Emma Watson! I guess she’s the princess. I’m a little surprised Gordon didn’t point that one out.

I actually really enjoyed the book Desperaux is based on and I hope the movie tries to keep some of its wonderful cynicism in tact.

And yeah, when I saw the Bolt trailer before Wall-E, my little brother elbowed me and said “It’s the Animaniac Pigeons!”.

on 2008-07-10 at 17:25

The Emma Watson thing is a JOKE!

5. Written by Lee
    on 2008-07-12 at 18:20

Sorry, I know that it is. I was just harking back to the old Triple Feature gag, which amused me every time. I apologize if my comment came off as offensive and anything other than friendly ribbing.

on 2008-07-12 at 18:27

No, no. I figured you were kidding. Everybody knows Emma Watson is waaay too old for my tastes now that she’s 18.