Trailer Watch: Mirrors, Miracle at St. Anna, Punisher teaser trailer

A trailer for Mirrors, the new supernatural horror flick from the director of The Hills Have Eyes remake Alexandre Aja is up at Yahoo! Video. The film stars Kiefer Sutherland, Paula Patton, Cameron Boyce, Erica Gluck and Amy Smart, and focuses on an ex-cop who must protect his family from… something… that is using mirrors (and apparently other reflective surfaces) as gateways into their home. Boy, am I tired of this supernatural horror stuff, but it looks creepy enough, if this genre is your bag.

Spike Lee’s next joint, Miracle at St. Anna, an adaptation of has a trailer up at Yahoo! Movies. Adapted by James McBride from his own novel, the film stars Derek Luke, Michael Ealy, Laz Alonso, Omar Benson Miller, Matteo Sciabordi, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. It looks pretty exciting and beautifully shot, but the statue head should way a hell of a lot more than it looks like it does.

Aaand, finally, Green Street Hooligans director Lexi Alexander’s Punisher: War Zone has a teaser trailer up. I don’t like the “comic booky” primaries used throughout the trailer, and only a few shots gave me any impression that the action was going to be terribly interesting. Consider me not teased. For better or for worse, the film is out on December 5th.

Posted on June 12, 2008 at 17:10 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers · Tagged with: , , ,

1. Written by Lethal Interjection
    on 2008-06-12 at 23:12

You’ve got to be kidding me. Is Tom Jane in such high demand that he couldn’t be rustled up for this? I hate discontinuity with a passion.

on 2008-06-13 at 06:36

Jane backed out of the film because he didn’t “believe in” the project, although he didn’t give any explanation beyond that.

One of the writers removed his name from the film earlier this year, as well, saying “the story was simple and the dialog was very obvious” and (in a later post than the link below) that “this script is dry and formulaic,” which might point to a reason:

3. Written by Lethal Interjection
    on 2008-06-13 at 23:14

I figured it would have to be script problems for Jane to bow out. Typical, though. The Punisher character doesn’t translate well to the big screen. He just seems like another revenge-killer. And Hollywood has seen plenty of those over the years.

4. Written by Will
    on 2008-06-14 at 03:49

correct me if i’m wrong but marvel films didn’t make the first punisher and they want continuity within there own franchises, but they arn’tas concerned overall. Eric Bana in the hulk first, but in the first marvel film it’s Ed Notron. The new one is by marvel films, and they don’t necessarly want the same actors.

5. Written by Gordon
    on 2008-06-14 at 09:38

Marvel Studios didn’t make either of the Punishers, though; the new one is Lionsgate, and I think Lionsgate did the second (Thomas Jane) one, too. (Try as you might, you can’t forget the Dolph Lundgren one.)

I’m sure Marvel would like continuity overall, too, but in properties they’ve licensed out (i.e. Punisher, Spider-Man, X-Men), they really have very little or no say.

6. Written by DJ
    on 2008-06-16 at 02:15

Ah maaan – no more Punisher movies (or attempts at Punisher movies). Maybe I’m a bit biased, because I’m not exactly the biggest fan of the character in his print incarnation, but this really doesn’t look good. Which is to say, it looks bad. When I want bad, I want the right kind of bad. The good kind of bad. The Robocop kind of bad.

7. Written by John
    on 2008-06-16 at 10:28

Man, Punisher is going to be sweet. No, I’m not expecting a super great plot, but c’mon guys. Give Stevenson his due. Just listening to him, on point. And the director said she was surprised they even got that much pg action out of the movie to make a green band trailer with.
    So yeah, again, I’m not expecting the dialog to be terribly engaging, and I’m honestly not excited about them cramming so many bad guys from the comic into the movie just for the sake of it, but I’m excited about the style and the fact they’re not wasting time doing another origin story and we’ll finally get a lot of shooting in a Punisher movie.

on 2008-06-16 at 10:33

mmm, I dunno. I didn’t think the action we’ve seen looked very good — but maybe, if the director was so surprised they had any PG-friendly footage at all, a red band trailer will quell that concern…

9. Written by Alex B.
    on 2008-06-27 at 12:50

I think “Man on Fire” proved that we can have a pretty good Punisher film. The people at New Line just need to figure that out.

“Miracle at St. Anna” I’m pretty excited about. I thought it looked really good.

10. Written by Gerald
    on 2008-07-02 at 22:26

Personally, I go to see a movie about the Punisher so I can see Frank Castle tearing up tons of people in incredibly violent fashion, so if they deliver that, I’ll see it. My question: why not get Garth Ennis to do a Punisher movie? I always enjoyed his take on Frank. Or Ghost Rider, his mini-series on that character was amazing. Get Garth in there, c’mon!