Trailer Watch: The Spirit teaser

Over at YouTube, we have the release of the long-anticipated teaser trailer for Frank Miller’s upcoming adaptation of Will Eisner’s legendary comic, The Spirit. The film will see release on January 16, 2009 by Lionsgate.

Comingsoon.net describes the plot as “the story of a former rookie cop who returns mysteriously from the dead as the Spirit (Gabriel Macht) to fight crime from the shadows of Central City.”

His arch-enemy, the Octopus (Samuel L. Jackson) has a different mission: he’s going to wipe out Spirit’s beloved city as he pursues his own version of immortality. The Spirit tracks this cold-hearted killer from Central City’s rundown warehouses, to the damp catacombs, to the windswept waterfront… all the while facing a bevy of beautiful women who either want to seduce, love or kill our masked crusader. Surrounding him at every turn are Ellen Dolan (Sarah Paulson), the whip-smart girl-next-door; Silken Floss (Scarlett Johansson), a punk secretary and frigid vixen; Plaster of Paris (Paz Vega), a murderous French nightclub dancer; Lorelei (Jaime King), a phantom siren; and Morgenstern (Stana Katic), a sexy young cop. Then of course, there’s Sand Saref (Eva Mendes), the jewel thief with dangerous curves. She’s the love of his life turned bad. Will he save her or will she kill him?

As a life-long comic book geek, I’m psyched for this film, but it is disconcerting just how much of the Sin City style Miller has used in this movie. Either way, count me in for the midnight showing.

Posted on April 20, 2008 at 16:00 by JasonS@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers · Tagged with: , , , ,

on 2008-04-20 at 17:03

Ugh. Way too much Sin City and 300 in this one. I hated both movies’ incessant narration, and I’m afraid this is going to be more of the same. Count me out.

2. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-04-20 at 17:45

You know, I love the Spirit, and the promise of Samuel L Jackson as the Octopus sorta seals it for me.
    As for the narration and the inclusion of the Sin City/300 look, I feel like it’s just a way of keeping with the comic book. It somehow keeps them roped in in regards to how much they deviate from the original look and feel.

3. Written by BlueNight
    on 2008-04-20 at 20:15

I am SO looking forward to this!

Some background: I am from Albuquerque, NM, born and raised in the city that portrays Central City in this film. I work at a reprographics shop that specializes in blueprints.

One day, I saw a 6′ x 20′ poster that was mounted on a hard board backing: it was from The Spirit. Later that month, I had the privilege of scanning to disk a few set design plans, including detail of the art deco “bronzework” on the elevator. I am looking forward to Albuquerque becoming more of a movie town.

As to the Sin City tone, Wikipedia states that “The stories ranged through a wide variety of styles, from straightforward crime drama and film noir to lighthearted adventure, from mystery and horror to comedy and love stories, often with hybrid elements that twisted genre and expectations.” From the one issue I have, during the humor magazine era, it could easily have matched the tone of Dick Tracy, The Mask, or The Rocketeer. Consider yourselves lucky.

4. Written by Cody Clark
    on 2008-04-20 at 20:49

I knew Frank Miller would “ruin” the Spirit. I always felt that it was supposed to be more light hearted and innocent but with the sexy seductress subplots. Full of POW! and BAM! sound effects. When I saw Sin City and 300, I knew that one showing would be enough for the rest of my life. Will I see this? I don’t know, maybe if someone pays for me.

but who knows, maybe theres something in there…

5. Written by Cody Clark
    on 2008-04-20 at 20:53

Also I agree with your comment about the narration Gordon. I get that its suppose to be kinda film noirish but theres a limit. Its a film, not a comic.

6. Written by Chad Vieth
    on 2008-04-21 at 02:43

I dunno, I like Miller’s touch. Yeah it isn’t Will’s work. The Narration worked for Sin City, since the GN where done that way. 300 was done as a story book style, so it went that way as well. And most people are putting a hate on a teaser, wait until the actual trailer. It could be good, if not great. It is a take on the character, it happens in comics all the time.

7. Written by Staatz
    on 2008-04-21 at 09:30

This looks a little too serious- I though the comics leaned towards a lighter humorous tone most of the time- maybe that was just the issues I read? Oh well it could be good anyway- I hated 300 (as a history major and political lefty) but liked sin city so… I guess I’ll wait in see.

8. Written by Erica
    on 2008-04-21 at 17:53

I will probably go see it, though it does seem like it’ll be a lot like Sin City (which wasn’t bad, though like Gordon said the narration got a little tedious after a while…) I can’t help but love Samuel L. Jackson, though, which is probably why I will go and see it. ^_^

9. Written by Peter Steckley
    on 2008-04-24 at 00:18

Frank Millar is an IDIOT! He has completely butchered Will Eisner by making a lame Sin City clone.