Quick Cuts: Agora, Robocop, and Hulu (updated)

Variety reports that The Others director Alejandro Amenabar’s previously-untitled Egyptian epic now has a name: Agora. The film stars Rachel Weisz as the real-life 4th century Egyptian "astrologer-philosopher Hypatia of Alexandria, who fights to save the collected wisdom of the ancient world." Max Minghella (Art School Confidential) has joined the cast as her lovestruck slave.

The nerd-movie news sites are running with one word from the recent press release announcing for Universal exec Mary Parent’s appointment to Chairperson of the Worldwide Motion Picture Group at Metro Goldwyn Mayer. Of course, that word is Robocop. The release says, "With the appointment of Parent, MGM will enter its new phase of evolution by focusing on its major movie franchises highlighted by JAMES BOND and PINK PANTHER sequels, THE HOBBIT, THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR 2, THE OUTER LIMITS, ROBOCOP, DEATH WISH and FAME, among others." This means a possible sequel/reboot is in development, but doesn’t really mean that it will ever happen. If a screenwriter and/or director get attached, maybe start actually getting your hopes up.

NBC and News Corp.’s online video on demand site Hulu has launched, with free, advertising-supported episodes of The Simpsons, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, The Office and other popular TV shows — and (the reason I mention it here) some movies, too! There aren’t a ton of full-length movies yet, but the ones they have include The Big Lebowski, Akira Kurosawa’s brilliant Kagemusha: The Shadow Warrior (below), Requiem for a Dream, and a bunch of other great ones. Yes, ads are evil, but a few ads in exchange for not having to run out to the video store, wait for Netflix, or buy it from iTunes (if they even have it)? Hell yeah. I’m sure I’ll be visiting Hulu soon. Watch Kagemusha now (and keep in mind, you can go full-screen if you watch it over at Hulu).

Update: Uh oh. Hulu loses a lot of points for their Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World being pan-and-scanned and edited for content. I don’t watch pan-and-scans.

Related posts: Weisz joins Amenabar’s Egyptian epic

Posted on March 14, 2008 at 14:31 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News · Tagged with: , , , ,

1. Written by Staatz
    on 2008-03-14 at 14:37

Hay that’s some good news especially because I’m a cheap SoaB. I liked Robocop quite a bit.. I think… actually I haven’t watched it in a while, but I remember the effects being pretty out of date in the third one, an update might be nice.

on 2008-03-14 at 14:42

I saw a DVD set with Robocop and Terminator for under $10 at Target a while back, but I still haven’t gotten around to re-watching Robocop yet!

3. Written by Odontomachus
    on 2008-03-14 at 15:09

“Unfortunately this video is not currently available in your country or region.”

This seems to be a recurring theme for cool stuff you post…

on 2008-03-14 at 15:14

Sorry! Not my fault! :(

5. Written by Staatz
    on 2008-03-14 at 17:12

It worked for me- I think you might have to sign up at hulu first. I’m also using firefox for my browser and I’m in the US, so that might be it.

6. Written by MC
    on 2008-03-14 at 21:05

See, I picked up the phrase “Death Wish” from that press release…. I mean, do we really need another Death Wish, I ask you.

Another Robocop… that might turn out decent however. I don’t have hate for the third one like a lot of people do.

on 2008-03-14 at 21:13

Yeah, the Death Wish remake is old news. That’s being developed by Sylvester Stallone.

And wasn’t that Kevin Bacon revenge movie Death Sentence essentially Death Wish all over again? I think it was the same writer, even.

8. Written by Brennan
    on 2008-03-14 at 22:49

RIP Stage6. If only Hulu would ditch the flash format for h.264 or divx then I would use it more. And if a Robocop reboot does happen, please let Christopher Nolan helm it. PLEASE!?!

9. Written by Chad Vieth
    on 2008-03-15 at 00:06

I love Robocop 1. Eric’s Dad as a bad guy, who would of thunk it back in ’87. Still, a reboot would be cooler than the drivel of a show they made. I am a proud Canuckle0head, but the show changed that.Oi.