Trailer Watch: Speed Racer international trailers

Two international trailers for the Wachowski brothers’ Speed Racer movie have hit the net, courtesy iKlipz. They look like live-action cartoons, which is appropriate. I never much liked the Speed Racer animated series and the Matrix sequels broke my heart, but this movie looks really exciting on a technical level. I’m just hoping the script can elevate this from just eye candy to being a really fun film.

You can still find the previously released domestic teaser over at Apple. Speed Racer starts his engines on May 9th. The film stars Emile Hirsch as Speed, Matthew Fox as the not-really-very-mysterious Racer X, John Goodman as Pops, Christina Ricci as Trixie, and a chimpanzee as Chim-Chim.

Posted on March 9, 2008 at 12:48 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers · Tagged with:

1. Written by Brennan
    on 2008-03-09 at 19:19

I saw the domestic trailer originally at Stage6(RIP) in hi def(720p). That got me geeked and even though these trailers aren’t as high quality, they still get me geeked for this flick. Looks to be a good summer popcorn flick as long as the Wachowski brothers keep any sort of philosophy out of it.

2. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-03-09 at 21:12

I feel like this will be fun in an odd way. It looks like they tried to go for a direct translation of the original, maintaining the goofy outfits and everything. I’m sure I’ll find it entertaining in that it’s total fanservice, sort of like the Street Fighter movie. (terrible, but quite entertaining)

3. Written by Joe
    on 2008-03-10 at 07:32

Stunning. This movie is totally growing on me. We should talk about this on the Triple Feature tonight

on 2008-03-10 at 08:14

Of course. Between Speed Racer and Into the Wild, half the show can be an Emile Hirsch love-fest.

5. Written by Daniel
    on 2008-03-11 at 16:04

I am pretty excited about this. Something about the candy-ish look to it just NAILS it on the head: Its a perfect example of a live action saturday morning cartoon.

I love the first version of the international trailer more. Especially the music.

6. Written by Davidara
    on 2008-03-24 at 16:34

If you liked the music in the trailer, check out the full track of the song used in the last half called Birthright by Celldweller. http://www.celldweller.com check the Free Stuff section in the store.