Tales of the Black Freighter… anime? (updated)

So, if you couldn’t guess by my not ever mentioning it, I’ve been mostly avoiding stuff about the Watchmen movie. I refrained from watching V for Vendetta, because I didn’t care to see a less than great adaptation of my favorite Alan Moore comic book, and the fact that I didn’t like 300 doesn’t leave me with very high hopes for Zack Snyder’s adaptation of Watchmen — but since I will be seeing Watchmen, for the Triple Feature, I want to go be able to go into the theater as fresh as possible.

But when I caught this bit of info from Empire Online, in a piece about Snyder’s plans to include the "Tales of the Black Freighter" segments of the Watchmen comic on the film adaptation’s DVD release (or one of the film’s DVD releases, anyway), I got a little riled up: “I’m going to do the voice of the captain,” says Gerard Butler (300). "They’re going to do it in the style of a Japanese anime and I’m totally stoked."

While I’m glad to know that they’ll be including this segment — either as an extra or edited into the film; it’s not  yet clear — what’s with that "Japanese anime" business? Does Gerard Butler not completely know what he’s talking about, hopefully? Or are they seriously going to animate this segment for the Watchmen movie with a completely inappropriate style?

UPDATE (3/6/08): When asked to comment, a representative of Mr. Snyder’s said it was "too early to discuss."

Posted on March 5, 2008 at 01:51 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News · Tagged with:

1. Written by arcoquinn
    on March 5, 2008 at 09:33

the “tales of the balck freighter” part of watchmen will be animated and realeased direct to dvd with either the release of the film or the realease of the dvd seeing as they could not include it in the film do to the running time…

on March 5, 2008 at 09:49

It will included “on the Watchmen DVD,” as the Empire article states. It will not be a separate release.

My assumption is that it will be edited into the film and not separate from it; other news sites I’ve seen assume it will be separate, as an extra — but I haven’t seen anything to confirm which it is.

(I’ve added a sentence into the post to reflect this information.)

3. Written by arcoquinn
    on March 6, 2008 at 06:25

that would make more sense and if so an anime tales of the black freighter would not fit in at all!

4. Written by kuzinov
    on March 6, 2008 at 10:26

Could the author come off as a “comic book guy” any worse. V for Vendetta did stray a little from the book. However, it was a great adaptation that got the idea of the story to the screen. Guess what bucky, when you adapt a book to the big screen, there’s going to be some changes, deal with it. zyou sound more pretentious than a first year film student, like the one I met at a party wgho actually said “blah, blah, blah, that’s why I don’t enjoy watching movies anymore”., to which I replied “if you can’t enjoy watching a film, you have no business making any”.

on March 6, 2008 at 11:09

kuzinov:

I didn’t realize that I was morally obligated to see V for Vendetta. I didn’t want to see it, so I didn’t; I’d call that “dealing with it.”

It’s not like I’m saying it was a bad movie, or I went and saw it and then bitched about the shit they changed. I didn’t say it was bad; I haven’t seen it, so I don’t HAVE an opinion of it.

My concerns about this anime comment of Butler’s are that, for a film which seems very faithful to Dave Gibbons’ art (judging from the photos we’ve seen to date), maybe animating it in a style similar to… I dunno… Dave Gibbons’ art might be more appropriate? Just a thought. And, an anime style for a film set in 1985 seems anachronistic (yes, I know they were making anime in 1985 — in Japan). I’m not saying it’s going to be bad; if it’s got fluid animation and a decent script, of course it will be just fine. It just seems like a weird decision.

And, if you notice in my posts about the Wanted trailer and the Watchmen character photos, I acknowledge that they’re different from the comics and still look very good. Wanted, in particular, I’m excited about. Sin City and 300 were VERY faithful to the comics, and I hated them both. I don’t care how faithful a movie is to its source material, be it a comic or a book or whatever, as long as it’s still a good movie, so your little rant is not just inarticulate and poorly punctuated, but completely off-base.

6. Written by arcoquinn
    on March 8, 2008 at 09:48

rofl oh god that last paragraph was priceless!!!!