Beak and Agent Zero added to "solo" Wolverine movie

Variety has confirmed an earlier report from Just Jared that Blackwing (a.k.a. Beak from Grant Morrison’s New X-Men run) and Agent Zero have been added to the torrential downpour of characters set to appear in the upcoming X-Men Origins: Wolverine film by Gavin Hood (Tsotsi). Dominic Monaghan (Lord of the Rings, Lost) is playing Blackwing, while Daniel Henney (My Father) is set for Agent Zero (pictured at left).

What’s interesting about this is that these two very recent additions to the X-Men universe are in it, with one of them playing a character who can only really function in the context of the X-Men (namely Beak — sorry, I liked him better when he was a featherless bird-like freakshow instead of just another dude in a super-powered suit). And Deadpool and Agent Zero are both mercenaries, so perhaps they’re both brought into the story to hunt for Wolverine…?

Anyway, their presence — as with Gambit’s — lends some weight to idea that the film takes place over a span of time, perhaps with the real origin story being revealed in lengthy flashback sequences. Anyway, that’s all just speculation. Thoughts?

Related post: Gambit, Deadpool and Wraith join Wolverine cast (updated)

Posted on February 21, 2008 at 19:11 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: News · Tagged with: ,

1. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-02-21 at 21:06

I could be wrong, because it’s been a while since I read through Deadpool, but isn’t Agent Zero just Deadpool from a different dimension? Are they just going to gloss over that fact?

on 2008-02-21 at 21:16

That’s Agent X. Agent Zero has some connection to the Weapon X program. I forget, exactly; I’ve never really been too up on X-Men lore.

EDIT: Aha — http://www.marvel.com/universe/Agent_Zero

3. Written by Caolan
    on 2008-02-21 at 21:18

Ok, then, my bad. I don’t follow Xmen too closely either, I just really enjoy Deadpool. How far back do they intend to go with Wolverine’s origin? From what I’ve seen in the comics, he’s like, 300 years old.

on 2008-02-21 at 21:27

No clue. I would hope they don’t start too far before Weapon X — all the other shit was retarded. His past was best left a mystery.

5. Written by Cody Clark
    on 2008-02-22 at 02:02

Marvel just keeps altering their universe’s history. Its like every comic has a slightly different history then the others, even though they feature the same characters. I just read Ultimates 3 #3 (http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8232) and in it Wolverine has sex with the Scarlet Witch’s mother. Its safe to say that that the Wolverine movie is just another sub-universe inside the X-Men universe.

6. Written by John
    on 2008-02-22 at 02:53

That said, the Ultimate universe is a completely seperate line of comics from the standard Marvel universe. A re-imagining of sorts to pull in new readers without the massive backstory of 616, so there are two distinct lines of comics, it’s not that EVERY comic has an different continuity.

Except for the current 616 Spider-man titles but let’s not even go there.

7. Written by Opie
    on 2008-02-22 at 06:38

Well, given the Maverick-Agent Zero connection, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re replacing Maverick with Agent Zero in the context of the Weapon X program. Then again, using Deadpool in that capacity and making Agent Zero the guy that has to bring Wolverine in after he escapes (every time he escapes?). Either way, I’ll admit that Agent Zero and Deadpool both have better character designs than Maverick.