Trailer Watch: Indiana Jones

The teaser trailer for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is here (courtesy Yahoo! Movies), after premiering this morning on ABC’s Good Morning America. Let the bitching about Shia LaBoeuf (re-)commence, but me… I think this looks awesome.

The glimpses of action look fun as hell, and Indy is surly as ever, God bless him. Repeated elements from Raiders, Temple of Doom, and the Last Crusade abound: running from natives (Mayans, it looks like, in this one), evil Europeans (Russians, not Nazis), and mystical artifacts (uh… a Crystal Skull, obviously). Indy was always a riff on the adventure serials, and these clips are varied enough that it looks like they haven’t abandoned the original movies’ episodic structure. In short: It looks like an Indiana Jones movie.

The long awaited fourth film in the Indiana Jones series hits May 22, 2008.

Posted on February 14, 2008 at 08:28 by Gordon@MovieMakeout · Permalink
In: Trailers · Tagged with:

1. Written by Kyle voltti
    on 2008-02-14 at 11:08

Yep that makes me happy in ways I can’t even begin to discribe. Best part “Damn I thought that was closer.”

on 2008-02-14 at 11:23

Some people (okay, AICN Talkbackers, mostly) have been complaining about “too many one-liners” (?!), an overuse of CGI in the trailer, and about how the footage seems “overlit.”

Personally, I think three funny lines in a trailer should not be a cause for concern — at least they were funny! And I trust Spielberg not to go overboard with the CG it in this film; Indy needs to look a little rough around the edges.

But I think the lighting complaint is just plain dumb. People had the same complaints about the Hellboy trailer, when they saw it online, but if you see it in theaters, it’s certainly dark and moody enough. I think it’s the same thing with this one; turn down the brightness a bit on their Quicktime settings. This should be obvious: the footage from the original three movies is just as bright.

This trailer looks (and sounds! — let’s not forget John Williams) terrific.

3. Written by MC
    on 2008-02-14 at 14:45

I am just glad that they didn’t try to make it Indy vs. the Nazis again and realized that the 1950’s had another kickass evil regime to fight against.

4. Written by InDavo
    on 2008-02-14 at 21:01

The action sequences seem a little too extreme for indiana jones. Indy Jones movies are usually more about plane crashes or tanks falling off cliffs, not far-shots of Mr. Jones doing stuff normally seen in Cirque de Soleil. The inclusion of what looks like the U.S. Government storage facility from the end of Raiders is the fan-service i’ve been waiting for since I first was introduced to Dr. Jones, and pretty much made this teaser for me.

5. Written by Pete
    on 2008-02-14 at 23:13

Excuse me, waiter. There’s some Shia LeBeouf in my Indiana Jones movie…

6. Written by Alex
    on 2008-02-15 at 14:50

Shia Lebouf Is Indy’s Son.

Bonus for me: Indiana Jones is my favorite hero of all time, and this movie is being released on my Golden birthday!

7. Written by HugoDePayenz
    on 2008-02-15 at 15:49

zomfg, that looks good.

8. Written by Kaije Armena
    on 2008-02-16 at 20:40

Thank you very much, Gordon McAlpin!